Sunday, November 20, 2011

"Broken" bottle and stray cats

So...last night Sion (another fun example of a halfsies) mike (my hubs) and I decided to go on a cleaning binge to prepare for Thanksgiving company. We were almost finished and getting ready to enjoy a fun game of Settlers (if you haven't played this game, you haven't lived!) when all of the sudden we heard a dribble, Sion states it as more of a running water sound. I swiftly ran to the source...the closet that holds our washer and dryer and sure enough there was "water" running but we couldn't figure out where it was coming from...and then I smelled it...wine...

BACK STORY: I started making peach wine, 12 gallons to be exact, this past August. Sion and I just recently bottled it, it tastes yummy! I stored some 17 bottles flat in a cubby on top of the dryer.

So...there I was, nose to the ground and I suddenly remembered something that I read. Once you cork your wine, you need to wait a couple days and watch to see if the cork starts to rise. If it does, it means the wine is not done fermenting and you just need to put it back into the carboy to ferment and then try to bottle it again. Well, folks, truth be told, sometimes...I get antsy, so I didn't wait and here I was knee deep in wine, (well, not really knee deep but we did have a mess on our hands.) We had to remop the floors that had just finished drying, not fun at
all. So, the lesson from all this, don't just read the directions, FOLLOW THEM! (Picture to the left shows a cork that is rising)


Here's a fun pic of Sion with her new sieve aka stylish hat! She's going to make apple sauce tomorrow, so we will be posting!



Oh yeah, I almost forgot! So, at about 5 am this morning I was getting in my car to head to work when I noticed I left my window down, all the way down. Right then I thought, "What if someone is in my backseat?" as I turned around I heard..."meow," I totally freaked, jumped out and I think the cat was as scared as me because it got out of my car at the same time I did! Ha! Guess, I learned my lesson, don't leave your windows down, next time it could be a possum, gross!




No comments:

Post a Comment