Friday, November 18, 2011

IT'S TURKEY TIME!!!!!!!

So, this is my second year hosting Thanksgiving and it's been a dream of mine to do. I know that sounds like a lame dream but I always admired my grandma as a little girl. She made everything from scratch with the help of my aunts. She fed our whole clan for practically every holiday and after my grandma passed, my Aunt Nancy took over. I have always looked up to my Aunt Nancy, she reminds me so much of my grandma, she is a great cook, mother, wife, artist, teacher, etc. So, I decided when I got married and began to have my own family, I wanted to model it after my grandma and aunt. So, that means, everything from scratch!

I know Thanksgiving is about a week away but there's no time like the present to get started. It's a lot of work when you make everything from scratch and if you're like me, you don't want to be stuck in the kitchen cooking and cleaning while everyone else is having a good time! So I got started about a week ago, I made almost 50 rolls that I froze after they rose once (I will thaw and let me rise a second time before baking)




 I made all my homemade egg noodles and froze those as well ...

And just last night I started my stuffing. Heres the first loaf cubed and laid out to dry and that is a picture of my second loaf that I am getting ready to cut this morning and let dry out. (excuse the picture, its early, no make-up! and I tend to always make awkward faces :/)

And here is a picture of the apples I canned for my pie. I picked these this summer and canned them and now all I have to do is throw them into my pie crust and bake. No coring, peeling or slicing. So this weekend, I will make my pie crusts and freeze those, get my brine ready and voila!


 Preparing for Thanksgiving can be a lot of work but if you get as much done on the front end and spread it out. Then when it comes time for Thanksgiving, you can enjoy your company and not be a slave to the kitchen while still providing your family with yummy food with good-for-you ingredients!
Happy Thanksgiving everyone!!!

Lovingly,
Shell

(P.S. I am going to set up a separate tab with all my recipes for my Thanksgiving dinner. Some fun twists on sweet potato casserole and pumpkin pie!)

No comments:

Post a Comment